Nucs will have 5 frames of bees with brood, pollen, honey, and a laying Queen. The bees are of Carniolan stock. The Carniolan is a gentle bee which broods up early and is a great honey producer. At home you will need your own deep hive body, bottom board, at least 3 empty frames w/ internal feeder or 5 frames with a Boardman feeder, a lid, a hive tool, bee veil or jacket, beekeeping gloves, and a smoker. Equipment is also available from Roark Acres.
All you need to bring when you pickup your bees is a viel or jacket and a pair of gloves.
Specific date and time for pick-up will be emailed to you as we get closer to May 2019.
So what is a nuc?
Nucs, or nucleus colonies, are small honey bee colonies created by dividing larger colonies in the spring and giving each of the new smaller colonies its own new queen. The term refers both to the smaller size box and the colony of honeybees within it. The name is derived from the fact that a nuc hive is centered on a queen, the nucleus of the honey bee colony.
Spring is one of the busiest times of year for Roark Acres. Please make sure to read and understand all of the details below. Doing so will make this exciting time easier for everyone.
1. Ordering: All nuc orders are invoiced separately from equipment orders. We usually sell out of the end of February. Order early!
2. Payment: Full Payment is due when your order is placed. Cancellations: Bee orders canceled before March 31st will be refunded the purchase price minus a $20 fee per nuc. If canceling after March 31st, then no refund will be made UNLESS we can resell the package or nuc.
3. Returns & Refunds: There are no returns or refunds once the customer accepts the bee package or nuc at our pickup location near Tulsa.
4. Additional Orders: Need additional equipment when you pick up your bees? Placing an order 30 days prior to your pickup date ensures it's ready for you when you get here!
5. Make sure to read all emails from Roark Acres. They will let you know what you need, where and when to bring it.
BEES TO BE PICKED UP IN LATE APRIL / Early May. PICKUP DATE TO BE ANNOUNCED ON OR BEFORE APRIL 1ST.
Nucs will have 5 frames of bees with brood, pollen, honey, and a laying Queen....
Are you looking to add a new colony this season? Our 10 Frame Delux Kit...